“Door decs” are decorative signs or tags that residential advisors (RAs) often create and place on the doors of residents in college dormitories or residential housing to personalize and welcome them. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make door decs as an RA:
Materials You’ll Need:
- Colored cardstock or paper
- Markers, colored pencils, or crayons
- Glue or tape
- Door dec templates (optional)
- Personalized information (e.g., resident’s name, room number)
- Decorative items (e.g., stickers, cutouts, ribbon)
- Plan Your Design:
- Decide on the overall design and theme for your door decs. Common themes include seasonal decorations, school spirit, or personalized designs related to your university.
- Choose Your Materials:
- Select colored cardstock or paper that matches your chosen theme and the colors of your university or dormitory.
- Create Templates (Optional):
- If you want to maintain a consistent design across all door decs, consider creating templates that you can trace or replicate for each one. Templates can help you save time and ensure uniformity.
- Cut Out the Door Decs:
- Use scissors to cut out the shapes and designs for your door decs. These can include rectangles, squares, circles, or any other shapes you prefer.
- Personalize Each Door Dec:
- Write or print the resident’s name and room number on each door dec. You can use decorative fonts or lettering styles to make it visually appealing.
- Decorate the Door Decs:
- Add decorative elements like stickers, cutouts, or ribbon to enhance the design and theme. Be creative and make each door dec unique.
- Assemble the Door Decs:
- If your design consists of multiple pieces, such as layered paper or cutouts, glue or tape them together to create the final door dec.
- Add a Personal Touch:
- Consider adding a personal message or welcoming phrase to each door dec to make residents feel special and welcome.
- Attach to Resident Doors:
- Use tape or adhesive putty to attach the door decs to the doors of your residents. Make sure they are securely attached but also easy to remove without damaging the door.
- Double-Check and Adjust:
- Walk around to ensure that all door decs are properly attached and legible. Make any necessary adjustments or replacements.
- Document Your Work:
- Take photos of your door decs to showcase your creativity and effort. Share these photos on social media or with your fellow RAs.
- Maintain and Replace:
- Throughout the semester or year, periodically check the door decs to ensure they remain in good condition. Replace any that are damaged or worn.
Creating door decs is a thoughtful way to make residents feel at home and create a welcoming atmosphere in a dormitory or residential housing setting. Be sure to adhere to any guidelines or policies set by your university or housing department regarding door decs and decorations.